"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all."
-Richard Wright, American Hunger, 1977

Friday, June 20, 2008

A Note on E-Piracy and The Two-Year Novel

Looking over my blog, DaWG M just remarked that by talking about borrowing a copy of The Two-Year Novel from DaWG S I'm advertising that we violated the terms of sale and have committed piracy. Just in case anyone else is concerned about this, I'd like to clarify things.

This is not an illegal copy of the book. I am currently using the only extant copy of this ebook acquired through the original purchase. The terms of sale state "No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means..." We did not reproduce the book except, perhaps, in the most technical sense. DaWG S attached the book to an email to me and then deleted her copy. I will be returning it to her when I've had a chance to try it out for a bit - without keeping a copy - and, if I've found the book helpful, buying my own copy then.

I don't want to deprive anyone of the income they've earned by producing and selling a good product. However, money is tight for me, as well. I don't have the ready cash to purchase every ebook I think I would like or use. Trust me, I'd have a lot more books by now if I could. :) Though I enjoy the convenience of ebooks and am aware that it's the only cost-effective way for some books to get into print, I strongly believe that publishing in an electronic format should not make it illegal for readers to preview or borrow books.

I'm not doing anything unethical. Whether I'm doing anything illegal is up to Lazette Gifford - but I hope she'll at least email me before she sues.

No comments: