"I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all."
-Richard Wright, American Hunger, 1977

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Isaiah, It's a Bit Early for Trouble, Innit?

So, the first step of the 2YN project is to come up with a sentence that describes the basic idea of your book, and then expand it into a 50 - 100 word paragraph. Every sample in the book is plot-based, and all I have so far is a character and a half and a vague scenario. And though I know it probably doesn't have to be a plot-based summary, "So there's this guy, and he meets this other person" just doesn't seem good enough somehow. :P So I'm trying to flesh it out a bit and come up with a general idea of what kind of book I want.

Which is all well and good, but in the middle of generating ideas for the plot I managed to question and possibly rearrange two major components of the parts I'd already decided on. Which, as I already mentioned, weren't exactly in abundance to begin with. Having since thought about it a bit more, I think I'm going to stay with my original idea for the characters (I was considering switching the genders of the two main characters) but an event I was assuming would occur long before the start of the book probably needs to happen during.

Anyway, all that and I'm still not sure what's actually going to happen in the book. I'm still hoping to have the assignment done by tomorrow sometime.

No comments: